EXPERTISE & SPECIALISATIONS
- Mentor to CEOs in complex organisations
- Leading organisations in the context of pace, complexity and ambiguity
- Purpose and values-based leader by choice
- Addressing market disruption in multiple sectors
- On-line/digital transformation
Ian is a very experienced Chief Executive with over 12 years leading large scale, listed groups with significant complexity in the highly competitive retail and consumer goods sectors. Ian most recently served as Group Chief Executive Officer of Metcash Limited, Australia’s leading Wholesaler, a diverse group with annual revenues in excess of A$14bn. Ian’s tenure as Group CEO of both Metcash and The Warehouse Group in New Zealand were defined by significant turnaround, business transformation and shareholder value creation.
Prior to moving to Australasia, Ian had over 20 years in senior management roles in the UK in multiple retail sectors and financial services.
Whilst he has led businesses through significant growth periods, he is no stranger to adversity, disruption and turnarounds.
Ian has broad Board experience both as an Executive and Non-Executive Director. He understands the importance of Board and Executive team dynamics and stakeholder management.
Prioritising the development of leadership talent and a strong customer viewpoint have been hallmarks of Ian’s approach and delivery. With proven strategic capability and execution focus, he is financially astute with a proven successful approach to M&A.
An authentic, approachable person with strong values who has demonstrated considerable drive, determination and resilience in his executive career.
As a mentor with Stephenson Mansell Group, Ian helps CEO’s through the transition of stepping up and navigating through challenging times.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- MBA from Cranfield University School of Management UK
- INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France – Avira CEO Program
- Certified Leadership Tutor, Industrial Society, UK
- Certified Trainer in Interaction Management – DDI Intl. (US)
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Previously a Board Director of multiple listed and private companies in the UK and Australasia over the last 20 years
- Currently an Advisor to the Board for a number of private companies
- Talent development
- Family time, active sports, music & travel
WORKING WITH IAN
“As a mentor Ian is a good listener, asks the right questions and works objectively with clients to develop solutions and build self-sufficiency. He can also be a calming influence when significant challenges present themselves.”